Privacy and Cookies Policy
June 2019, Version 1.0
1. What's in this policy?
This policy tells you:
- what information we might collect about you
- how we might use that information
- when we might use your details to contact you
- what information of yours we might share with others
- your choices about the personal information you give us
2. What does this policy cover?
This policy covers the services that are offered by Flow Capital, LLC. a company registered in Delaware USA that is privately owned and which operates the iOS app called Quanta. For the sake of simplicity, for the rest of this document we’ll refer to Flow Capital the company and Quanta the app together just as “Quanta”.
What's not covered in this policy?
Our services import financial information, such as transactions, from banks and other financial institutions such as credit card companies (examples: Bank of America and American Express). Those companies have their own privacy and cookie policies so remember that the information they have about your accounts will follow their rules and not ours, though we are constrained by their policies as well, as they govern our access to financial information.
3. What are my privacy rights?
- ask us what personal information we hold by requesting a copy of your information
- ask us to correct or delete your personal information tell us to stop using your personal information
Bear in mind, sometimes we might not be able to help, like if the law tells us we can't.
4. How do you protect my personal information?
We're strongly committed to keeping you and your family's information safe. And to do this we design our services with your safety in mind. We also have dedicated teams to look after your information security and privacy.
At the same time, no service can be completely secure - if you have any concerns that your Quanta account or personal information has been put at risk, for example if someone could have gained access to your account and/or information, please get in touch straight away.
It's safe to use us
It's our job to keep your personal information safe and secure. That's why we design our services with your safety in mind. And we're always looking for the best ways to improve this. There are also things that you can do to keep safe, like thinking about what information you share and how to keep your devices secure.
Where we store your information
The companies that provide services to us run their services from Virginia, USA. As such your information is protected by the privacy laws and regulations of the United States of America. This includes data for Quanta members who reside or bank in other countries.
5. What types of personal information does Quanta collect about me?
We'll give details about why we need your personal information and how we'll use it before you begin, unless it's obvious.
a. Why do we collect information about you in the first place?
We keep information about you so that we can:
- get the right services for you
- plan and improve our services
- keep in touch with you
b. Information that you give us
We don’t ask for your name or email address. We do ask users to verify a phone number for an account, we do this to prevent the creation of multiple accounts by one person.
In order to connect your bank and other financial accounts securely Quanta utilizes a third party service called Plaid. Please check them out here: https://plaid.com and check out their security statement here: https://plaid.com/security and their privacy statement here: https://plaid.com/legal. They are an established and stable business based in San Francisco and count all major financial institutions in the USA, Canada, and UK as clients and/or partners.
When you connect a bank or other financial institution to Quanta we do not see your login information and it is not saved by Quanta or Plaid.
c. Device information
Devices are lots of things like:
- your computer
- your mobile
- your TV
- your tablet
- your voice-enabled device
The Quanta product is currently only available on iPhone and iPad. We automatically collect some technical information from these devices as you use Quanta. This might include:
- IP (internet protocol) address
- Operation system version (eg. iOS 12.1)
- Device model (eg. iPhone Xs)
d. Information on your activities outside of Quanta when you mention us
Like if you've mentioned us in a Twitter post, we might your Twitter handle.
e. Anonymized usage information
We also collect information about how people use our services, like tapping the daily notif and browsing through the app in order to understand and improve our services. This type of data does not include personally identifiable information but it is important for you to know that we’re always trying to understand how people use our services so we can make them better.
6. How long will Quanta keep my personal information?
When you give us any personal information like the transactions we receive when you connect a bank or other financial institution we keep your information until such time that you delete your account or earlier if we deem the information to no longer be useful for providing the Quanta service to you. And we always stick to these principles:
- we only hold your information for as long as we do the activities we told you about or have a valid reason to keep it, such as those reasons outlined below in section 7.
- we think about what type of information it is, the amount collected, how sensitive it might be and any legal requirements
- we design our services so that we don't hold your information any longer than we have to
- we may close your Quanta account if you haven't used it in the last year. We'll send you a SMS message to tell you that we plan to do this before we delete anything, so please take a look if we've sent you any messages about this
7. How can Quanta use my personal information?
We can only use your personal information if we have a valid reason
We have to have a valid reason to use your personal information. It's called the "lawful basis for processing" (if you want to read more, see this link to the GDPR definition which is in legal language). Sometimes we might ask your permission to do things, like when you connect your Quanta account to a bank or other financial institution. Other times, when you'd reasonably expect us to use your personal information, we don't ask your permission, but only when:
- the law says it's fine to use it, and
- it fits with the rights you have
We use your information for these types of things:
- to deliver our services and to provide you with information about them
- to deal with your requests, complaints and enquiries
- to help us understand what kind of services you might use and sometimes how you might share things with other people.
- to research and innovate. You're not a guinea-pig here, but knowing how you use our services could lead to the next big technology breakthrough.
- to contact you about various things
8. When will Quanta use my information to contact me?
We might use your information to contact you about different things, like:
- to check with you about any service or activity you've signed up for. For example we might tell you if your Quanta account hasn't been used in a long time.
- to answer you when you've contacted us, or to respond to a comment or complaint
- to invite you to take part in surveys about the Quanta services, which are always voluntary
- for marketing purposes
- to send you a notification on your device if you've selected them in your settings
We'll only contact you when we need to or when you've given us permission.
We'll never contact you to ask for your password to a bank or other financial institution.
9. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
We'll only send you marketing messages or contact you about Quanta services if you've agreed to this previously.
Keep in mind, even if you unsubscribe, we may still contact you for one of the reasons listed in the previous section.
Will my personal information be used when Quanta advertises with other companies?
10. When does Quanta share my personal information with others?
We'll never sell your personal information.
We do share it with others in these ways:
a. When we use other companies to power our services
In order for us to deliver the Quanta service to you and to understand how you're using our services we often use other companies to process your personal information on our behalf. For example, we utilize Amazon Web Services to process financial information and store your information in a database.
We make sure that your personal information is looked after as if we were handling it directly.
We carefully select these companies, only share with them what they need to do the work and we make sure they keep your information secure.
b. Sometimes by law we have to pass on your information to other organizations
We might also share your information if we have to by law, for example under a lawful court order.
11. What's different for kids and teens?
Quanta is not designed for kids and teens as they generally do not have and control accounts at financial institutions.
12. Can I delete my information?
You can delete your account. Your account information including transaction history and account information is immediately deleted. Keep in mind that we keep a record of how you've used our services, but this information can't be linked back to you.
You can delete your account in the iOS app or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
a. What are cookies and tracking technologies?
Cookies are bits of data which are stored in your computer or mobile when you visit a website or app. There are also similar pieces of tracking information we collect.
To do a few different things:
- to remember information about you, so you don't have to give it to us again. And again. And again
- to keep you signed in
- to help us understand how people are using our services, so we can make them better
- to find out if our notification messages have been read and if you find them useful
A few things on our website wouldn't work without some cookies and similar technologies. Tech people call these "strictly necessary cookies". They're always on when you use Quanta. We do not use any tracking or cookies on our website and if you signout of the Quanta mobile app, all associated information is removed from your device.
14. How will I find out about changes to this policy?
We update this policy sometimes. If we make important changes, like how we use your personal information, we'll let you know. It might be a notice in the app, a text message, or a message in the Quanta app.
If you don't agree to the changes, then you can always stop using our services, delete your account and stop giving us any more personal information. We'd be sorry to see you go.
15. How can I contact Quanta?
For any other questions or comments about this policy please message our support team by email at email@example.com.